Creeksiders win Hamble encounter

By Connor Steel / Photograph by Fareham Town Media

FAREHAM TOWN continued their resurgence as they beat Hamble Club 2-0 on Tuesday night, recording their third successive Wessex League Premier win and yet another clean sheet in the process.

It was an impressive result at the Abbey given that the hosts had beaten top-of-the-table Brockenhurst by four goals days earlier, with the damage done in the first half before the Creeksiders absorbed the Monks’ pressure to secure all three points.

On a dry and imperfect bobbly surface, Fareham quickly found their rhythm as they flowed forward in attack, winning a penalty after just four minutes. A ball down the right found Simon Woods in space but the visiting striker was tripped the entered the penalty area and the referee pointed to the spot. Curt Robbins saw his spot-kick tipped onto the post by Hamble goalkeeper Jack Martin, the clearance only finding Woods who fired inside the bottom corner.

Boosted by their early lead, Fareham were looking good in midfield as Callum Benfield and Dan Bennett pulling the strings, which led to the latter firing wide and Ashley Tattersall’s shot drifting over from distance after 17 minutes. But Hamble were also working hard in possession and this led to their first real chance as Drew Smith’s cross found Sam Woodward in a brilliant position, But the striker’s tame effort was saved by Town keeper Dan Kempson – much to the disappointment of home fans behind the goal.

Although Mac Grange’s effort from a tight angle was wide in a Hamble spell of pressure, it was Fareham that began to turn the screw with chances for Woods and Charlie Copper going close after the half hour mark. But the Creeksiders weren’t to be denied for long as they doubled their lead on 39 minutes when Woods held off the defender and the ball broke to Kai Sterne, whose rising shot found the top corner of the Hamble net for 2-0. It should have been three before half time as both Sterne and Cooper had efforts blocked by the unbreakable defender of Michael Byrne for the hosts.

Hamble came out firing after the interval with substitute Lewis Nagle looking dangerous as he hit the side netting on 51 minutes and set up Craig Hunt whose shot went over the crossbar from range. Jamie Moulsdale further shot wide from an angle on the hour mark before Fareham asserted their control after making two changes off the bench.  Keeper Martin was forced to stop efforts from Bennett and Cooper, with Woods hitting the post with a rebound following a great move on 72 minutes.

On 78 minutes, Fareham smashed the woodwork for a third time in the match, an attacking move finding Cooper whose effort hit the outside of the far post with the keeper beaten. Minutes later Josh Benfield headed inches over after being found by a great inswinging cross down the left, which turned out to be the last opportunity for the Creeksiders as Hamble looked for a late response. Nagle forced a great save by Kempton’s legs as he broke free of the last defender before the same player’s delicate free kick hit the post and bounced to safety – much to the relief of the away contingent as they kept their third straight clean sheet and victory.

Fareham’s latest win lifts them up to sixth in the Wessex League Table with 11 points from six games played this season. They will now travel to Dorset on Saturday afternoon to play Christchurch in the league, with both sides receiving a bye in the FA Vase and will instead face off on an otherwise free weekend. The Creeksiders will then play two games versus Alton within three days at Cams Alders; the first being in the league on September 18 and then the League Cup clash in the following midweek (Tuesday evening).