Photo: one of last year’s winners, courtesy of Fareham Borough Council
FAREHAM Borough Council is urging residents to get out their cameras, photograph the results of their horticultural activities, and enter its annual ‘in bloom’ competition.
As happened last year, the competition is being run online and entries must be submitted between Tuesday, June 1, and Friday, July 2.
The council has ‘erred on the side of caution’ again because of the continuing Covid-19 restrictions. But the Executive Member for Streetscene, Councillor Ian Bastable, hopes the competition will prove as popular as last year’s virtual event which he said, “provided a much-needed boost during these challenging times”.
Two winners will be selected in each of six categories:
- Best Garden – a garden of any size, front or back
- Commercial – shop fronts, pubs, businesses and schools
- Something Small- hanging baskets, window boxes or unusual garden features
- Community Floral Display – your street, community centre or sheltered housing grounds
- Young Green Fingers– something the kids have planted or grown
- The Edible Garden – growing your own produce at home or on your allotment
Entry is free and open to anyone who lives or has a business in the borough. All that is needed is an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a photograph, and a brief description, of the garden, plot, allotment, window box, etc., by the closing date of Friday, July 2.