Fareham endure harsh Stoneham ‘home’ demolition

By Connor Steel

FAREHAM TOWN endured a simply forgettable evening of league football on Tuesday as they travelled across to AFC Stoneham in their latest reversed fixture due to ongoing pitch problems; eventually falling to a huge seven nil thrashing against the promotion hopefuls following the “one-sided” affair held on the artifical surface at Stoneham Lane Complex.

The ‘unofficial’ hosts started brilliantly and opened their account within eighty seconds of kick off as great play released Ash Pope; whose fine cross was nodded into the far right corner by Duarte Martins. This was then followed by two fine openings for Oliver Jenkins and Tyrrell Sampson before the quarter hour; neither of the drives truly pushing the keeper.

In response Fareham slowly started to work themselves into proceedings and saw their first chance in the 22nd minute as Jack Breed jinxed forward with a ‘solo’ run; his pass finding at Matt Pates who sliced over the crossbar. The visitors continued to push forward either side of the half hour but mostly lacked the final ball against a very well-drilled defence.

Stoneham were however in a clinical mode and doubled their lead via a counter attack as a ball was threaded into Alex Welch through on goal; the captain easily setting up Jenkins to fire past George Bonney in controversial fashion. It was three-nil before the break as a cross was half-cleared by the Creeksiders; the ball falling to Jenkins who netted at ease.

Graham Rix’s team were left shellshocked and it did worsen just six minutes into the second half as Stoneham added a fourth goal; Martins seizing control of Ethan Mason’s loose sideways’ pass and blasting past Bonney with other options available. Substitutions also followed with Charlie Cooper entering the action for Fareham before he picked up a knock.

Although Fareham did try their best to get a foothold and a consolation goal, it was evident that ‘tired legs’ were playing a huge part following a three-all draw with Petersfield just one day earlier. This was proven with eight minutes left when Jim Orvis advanced through the middle and converted his effort for five nil; whilst Brad Gale was sin-binned for dissent.

Orvis was crucial in Stoneham’s sixth goal as he outsprinted a defender and whipped his high cross into the corridor of uncertainity, where it hit a defender and nestled into the bottom left corner for an own goal. The final nails in Fareham’s coffin came on 88 minutes when Lewis Nagle ran through and calmly fired underneath the keeper’s leg to add the 7th.

Fareham are now level on thirty-two points in 13th place with goal difference separating them from Andover New Street and Bournemouth; but do ‘host’ the latter this Saturday afternoon and have 9 games in the next two weeks to finish the league season. This includes a game versus Blackfield & Langley on Thursday that is due to be played at Gang Warily.

PICTURED BY FAREHAM TOWN MEDIA: Stoneham defence crowd out attacker in very ‘one-sided’ league encounter.