Moneyfields humble Fareham in midweek thrashing

By Connor Steel

MONEYFIELDS FC offered a superb statement of intention to their current title rivals in the Wessex League Premier as they hosted Fareham Town on Tuesday evening; thumping the Creeksiders eight-one with a simply outstanding display in front of two hundred supporters at Portchester’s home stadium despite horrible weather conditions through the night.

It was Fareham who started the better on a rapid surface and saw the first notable opportunity after eight minutes when Elliott Holmes fired wide from Sam Woodward’s pass before Joe Johnson dragged over the crossbar moments later. In contrast it took seventeen minutes for Moneyfields to attack with Ryan Pennery being denied by the away keeper’s leg.

Saul Thorpe was then booked for a late foul on James Franklin and the attacker responded with a drive that was saved by Jordi Valero; Johnson slicing straight at Dylan Kramer in the opposing nets after 23 minutes. A first goal was coming and this fell to Moneyfields before the half hour through Callum Laycock, who fired home in the right from twenty yards.

Things worsened for Fareham after thirty-eight minutes as Thorpe tugged back a Moneyfields attacker and then shown a second yellow; thus reducing the visitors to ten men. Laycock then converted this set-piece past a stranded Valero to make it two-nil to the hosts, which is how it stayed at the interval despite periods of possession and successive attacks.

The title challengers continued their dominance upon the restart and made it three-nil after 49 minutes as Pennery duly converted a flowing move with a first touch effort, whilst an own goal from Keiron Clark consigned Fareham to a four-nil deficit seconds later. And it was five-nil to Moneyfields when Pennery added his 2nd of the tie with his composed effort.

Substitutions for Fareham didn’t have an impact as the hosts added their sixth goal just after the hour through Pennery; the striker confirming a fine treble with a deft finish from a free-kick. Laycock then completed his own hat-trick moments later as the away side simply switched off, allowing for his calm finish inside the bottom left corner despite a tight angle.

Heavy rain showers then engulfed the atmosphere and seemed to help Fareham, who sealed a consolation goal on 87 minutes when Matt Pates converted a fine ball from Joe Ryan for seven-one. But the Creeksiders were given a final pill to swallow in stoppage time when Munir Hadi side-footed home the eighth for Moneyfields and their 51st of the season.

The heavy defeat means the Creeksiders have dropped to twelfth place in these current standings with a negative goal difference with matches against high-flying Brockenhurst and Stoneham to come before Halloween. Meanwhile leaders Moneyfields leapfrogged Portchester into first position after twelve games so far, and will next travel to Portland United.

PICTURED BY NATHAN LIPSHAM: Fareham defenders struggle to contain Moneyfields’ striker as he prepares a shot.