Town continue perfect record in Blackfield victory

By Connor Steel

FAREHAM TOWN extended their perfect record this campaign and further ended a recent hoodoo against Blackfield & Langley on Saturday afternoon; the Creeksiders making it three wins out of three so far with a comfortable 3-0 success at Gang Warily despite challenging playing conditions including strong wind gusts, long grass and bobbly pitch surface.

It was Blackfield who adapted quicker to their home pitch and created their first opening after nine minutes; a long pass pounced upon by Olly Brown whose angled effort drifted harmlessly wide of the post. The hosts then saw a low shot by Josh Carey saved by Fareham keeper Jodi Valero minutes later; Lewis Connor heading over from this resulting corner.

The Creeksiders absorbed this early pressure and finally gained the forward momentum in the sixteenth minute of play with Joe Johnson heavily involved; the winger’s delivery narrowly missing the head of Curt Robbins. The two linked up brilliantly just before the half hour as Robbins broke into the penalty area but saw his powerful shot fly marginally wide.

Graham Rix’s team did break this deadlock before half time when a deep pass reached Robbins after bouncing into the area; the attacker fighting his way past Jack Barton and sliding past the keeper for 1-0 despite being fouled. And it may have been a larger advantage at the interval; Joe Ryan, Johnson and Leah Colvin further sending their shots on target.

Fareham continued this attacking dominance upon the second half restart and thought they had added a second when Sam Woodward bundled home from close range; the offside flag correctly ruining his celebrations. But they weren’t left disappointed for long as Colvin did add their second on the hour at a corner; the defender firing into the far right corner.

Home substitutions sparked a brief change as Eder Batista’s snap shot was gathered by Valero at the second attempt; the visitors using this scare as impetus to push for further goals. But they were smartly denied by the Blackfield keeper Ollie Harrison, who somehow saved powerful efforts from both Ryan and Keiron Clark despite being a last minute start.

Niggly injuries broke up the attacks with around ten minutes left but it was Fareham who continued to pile men forward; using their fresher legs to their advantage with Jack Nicolas and Sam Emery going close in fast succession. But it was Johnson who netted a third in the 87th minute; sending his powerful effort into the top right corner with a wonder strike.

The final whistle blew soon afterwards and confirmed the second victory for Fareham in their league campaign; a result that leaves them in second behind Baffins Milton Rovers at the top. However attentions will turn to knockout action with the away trip to Talley Calleva on Tuesday for the Hampshire Senior Cup before they entertain Bashley in a FA Cup tie.

PICTURED BY FAREHAM TOWN: Visitors ended the ‘hoodoo’ at Gang Warily and finally clinch all 3 points at stadium.