NewsTop StoriesTravel

A32 reopens after water pipe closure

By Connor Steel

FAREHAM POLICE have confirmed that the A32 has reopened following eight hours of closures affecting Gosport and Fareham residents throughout Easter Monday, which came after a burst water pipe caused flooding at the junction near Fareham Reach in the early hours of this morning.

Posted on social media at 7:48am officers asked people to avoid the area, between Fareham Road and Wych Lane, until further notice as a result of water building up. However the flooding worsened and the decision was taken to close the road in both directions just before 11am.

Shortly afterwards an online message shared by Gosport and Hampshire Police Forces read: “Following on from our posts about a burst water main earlier, the A32 has been closed both North and Southbound just outside of Fareham Reach. All traffic is being diverted through WYCH LANE.”

This closure lasted for several hours whilst Hampshire Highways and Portsmouth Water attended the scene, with police managing the diversion through Wych Lane using traffic lights to ensure congestion was limited despite the increased demand as residents made their planned Bank Holiday journeys.

Upon fixing the burst pipe and ensuring that all water had been cleared, the road was reopened just before 5pm with an update posted on social media by officers. However there are still temporary traffic signals in place for the short term to repair damaged tarmac caused by the flooding, which at times lifted above the pavement and led to extra debris covering the area.

Officers have warned that these are likely to remain in place during the rush hour tomorrow morning (April 19), the affected road being a key artery for Gosport and Fareham traffic users. They have further thanked the whole community for their patience and their support throughout the busy day; including those residents nearby who provided workers with hot drinks, bottled water and donuts.

PICTURED BY FAREHAM POLICE: Aftermath of flooding as tarmac is lifted up by water and debris is carried onto the road leading to temporary restrictions in place until resurfacing repairs are completed.