Gosport suffer disappointing away Chesham loss

By Connor Steel

GOSPORT BOROUGH were consigned to their third league defeat to date this campaign as they travelled to Chesham United this Saturday afternoon; falling two-nil against their third place opponents after a “disappointing” away display at The Meadow in which they conceded two avoidable goals and were further reduced to ten men following a sending off.

Both sides started slowly under grey clouds and it was Gosport who created the first chance after nine minutes through Dan Wooden; the attacker dragging narrowly wide from Alex Barsa’s flicked pass. Down the other end Zak Joseph was allowed space to sprint at the visiting defence, but a great block from Cory Jordan diverted his drive away from danger.

This good opportunity seemed to throw Chesham forward as they began to threaten in dangerous areas; Ryan Upward denied by away keeper Toby Steward before seeing loud penalty appeals turned down by the referee. Harry Rush then had his angled effort blocked at source after twenty-nine minutes before Lewis Rolfe headed inches over from a corner.

The away outfit were however looking brilliant on the ‘counter attack’ with Jake Scrimshaw collecting a deep ball on the left side and running through on goal; Chesham keeper Zaki Qualah making the save before an offside flag was raised. But the 1st goal arrived for the hosts in stoppage time before the interval; Ricardo German nodding home a fine corner.

Borough came out fighting upon the restart and saw a neat spell of possession that concluded with Antonio Diaz going close through his fiercely hit shot; Danny Hollands setting up Wooden who fired straight at Qualah from close range. A number of corners were further cleared away by the home defence, despite the occasional delivery catching the gusts.

But this pressure didn’t amount to more openings as Chesham reasserted their earlier control with Ogo Obi particularly looking good; his drive taking the slightest deflection off Harry Medway on its way for a corner on 63 minutes. This was followed up by a fine chance moments later for German, who fired a low shot narrowly wide of the post under pressure.

The hosts did finally make their dominance count after eighty-six minutes when German broke through and was fouled by Steward whilst taking a shot; the away keeper shown a red card and the penalty was converted past Harvey Rew in the goal. And it could have been three in added time after substitutions as Rew was forced to deny Upward’s low effort.

Despite the defeat Gosport do remain second in the Southern League standings with Chesham in third, but have given up ground to Salisbury as they extended the advantage to 4 points at the top. Joe Lea and Pat Suraci will hope to start winning again next week with their team hosting struggling Didcot at the AEI Stadium, before playing Hanwell on 29/11.

PICTURED BY TOM PHILLIPS: Two sides clash in 2022 game as Gosport again fail to beat Chesham at The Meadow.