Supermarine shock Borough with tight away success

By Connor Steel

GOSPORT BOROUGH lost further ground on their league title “challengers” as they succumbed to a shock loss versus Swindon Supermarine on Saturday afternoon; eventually falling two-one to their ‘resurgent’ visitors despite opening the scoring and missing further chances throughout the ninety minutes under dry clouds in front of a crowded AEI Stadium.

The hosts began brightly and created the first notable opportunity within six minutes as Bradley Tarbuck drove over the crossbar from an angle. The midfielder continued to look threatening as he undertook a jinxing solo run and switched a pass into the feet of Harvey Rew; the latter’s cross cut out by the leg of Sam Turl as Gosport dominated this early spell.

And pressure finally told after twenty-two minutes when Danny Hollands floated a great pass inside the penalty area to reach Dan Wooden; the experienced striker guiding his shot into the corner for one-nil. But the hosts were immediately pegged back just before the half hour as poor defending led to Levi Irving collected the ball before firing calmly to level.

Swindon used the equaliser to switch the momentum with both Matthew Liddiard and Joseph Tumelty hitting the post in quick succession; Henry Spalding drilling over an effort on 36 minutes. The visitors did finally add their second goal just before half time through David Sim-Burgess as Gosport made another error; the striker nestling low past Toby Steward.

Borough came out upon the restart and immediately attacked to correct the scoreline, with Rew threading through Jake Scrimshaw into space and the midfielder sadly sent his shot harmlessly wide when well placed. Rew then attempted an ambitious chip shot from approximately 25 yards out, which left Swindon keeper Conor Brann clawing to the top corner.

Scrimshaw was then unable to connect with a deep cross by Harry Kavanagh before substitutions followed across both teams; Rafa Ramos almost making an immediate impact when he lashed into the right advertising boards after running through. This was followed by a fierce effort from Rew that flew over the crossbar after a good incisive ball by Hollands.

Supermarine were arguably holding on but nearly added a third on 84 minutes when James Edge dragged inches wide of the post with Steward beaten; Gosport responding when Alex Barsa had an effort saved after a goalmouth scramble. And in a last chance the hosts went closer when a low effort was hacked off the line; thus clinching a brilliant away win.

Other results from Saturday mean that Gosport sit third in the Southern Premier and stay six points off current leaders Salisbury, although they have a game in hand following recent postponements. They will look to bounce back with two huge matches over Christmas including a trip to Walton & Hersham on Saturday and a Boxing Day tie against Sholing.

PICTURED BY ALEX WHITE: Dan Wooden celebrates opening the scoring before Swindon comeback seals away win.